Thursday, November 15, 2012

Day 23: 3-week checkup, and wheeee, maternity pants!

I must be honest.  After I wrote the Day 22 blog, Mr. Right called and I chatted with him about his day, then about how I was feeling with this healing, and how much I missed our intimacy and stuff.  I was upset.  I cried when I hung up the phone.  I was in bed, and I was frustrated, and I was wondering what happened to the way I felt last week?  Why did I feel like I was making so much progress?  Why do I now feel like I'm standing still or regressing?  UGH.  Why can't I be healing-superwoman?



So today I had my 3-week checkup to get ready for today.

I woke up, ate some breakfast, and did some playing-on-the-internet.  I had to figure out what I was wearing to the Doc.



It's chilly, and until yesterday I had been wearing a lot of flowy dresses and didn't have to wear pants.  The long leggings I wore yesterday were suspect since my midsection was sore after Career Day, so I didn't want to go with those again.  I settled for some looser capri length yoga pants that were comfy enough.  I went with big-baggy-sweatshirt on top because it was warm and comfy and hid the lovely compression garment sticking out of my pants.  I ordered two more compression garments that were due to arrive today, but damn if they had not made their way to my front door.  Of course.

I showered but kind of said "to hell with it" where washing my hair was concerned.  Dry shampoo is my friend!



I was thinking hard about why the wind had gone out of my sails.  I am getting a wider range of motion.  I can squat down and bend enough to pick things up off the floor, or plug stuff into the wall.   It's easier to reach stuff that's high up, so I am doing more reaching.  Maybe my increased abilities, coupled with the fact that the numbness is subsiding and feeling IS coming back, are the culprit.  So maybe I am progressing, it's just that I am in less of the la-la-land than I have been.

I want to be an over-achiever, and to be commended for it.  I want people to be mesmerized with my power to heal and emerge unscathed.  I want to think I'm not "average".  Why?  I don't know.  We talked about impatience yesterday ; )

So once I got to Doc's, I took off all my cozy layers and put on the soft pink rosy exam gown.  It's like being back home.  Ahh.

When you're asked, "So, how are you feeling?" in the doc's office, you can really unload, and unload I did.  He gave me the, "Hey, it's only been 3 weeks!  Everybody always seems to think they'll heal faster than we tell them."

So basically, don't get mad at yourself for not being over-achiever-healer because in reality, you're doing GREAT, silly woman.  My tummy incision was looking red above and below, more than Doc cared to let go without a course of antibiotics.  He said it could be the sutures kind of irritating one another, but there was one spot that was "weeping" a little so he threw me on a course of Bactrim, in case something was going on.  He didn't seem worried, since the redness was so localized.

I asked him about my crazy sensitive nipples, and if it would be okay to try putting baby teething gel or something on them, just to desensitize them.  He said I could definitely try, and to report back.

Since there was a prescription being called in, you might be able to guess the next stop of the train, TARGET!  This is also my pharmacy, so I actually had a pure reason for the visit ; )  Once I made sure they'd received the faxed prescription info, I shopped while they filled it.

First stop, baby teething gel.



Next stop, comfier pants.
I shopped around the workout section, but nothing looked very waist-comfy.  Everything's made to hold up to the rigors of working out.  Meh.  I made my way to the pajamas, but nothing there was really outta-the-house-presentable.  I went to the normal clothes, looking for some track pants or something, but in my pickiness, I snubbed my nose at velour.

Like a beacon in the night, I saw it.  LIZ LANGE MATERNITY.  Ohmygah, super stretchy waists!  YES!  I found a pair of maternity jeans, tried them on, and they worked like a charm.  They don't look like "mom jeans" (which is like, the height of irony, right?), they're long enough, hooray!



As long as I wear a shirt long enough, it hides the little lycra panel so it's alllll goooood.

Mr. Right was home when I got home, and we ate dinner in.  He fired up the fireplace, and I snuggled up really close to it and took some of the prescription meds and melted into the rest of the night with him watching Duck Dynasty.  Oh, sweet soft fleece pajama pants.  Snuggly house-shoes.

I felt so much better at the end of today.  I'm going to try and do a little bit of desk work tomorrow and finish up a couple of projects.  I also have a nail appointment, where I will wear my fashionable new jeans.

: )

No comments:

Post a Comment